[ntp:questions] Re: HELP PLEASE::: NTP Garmin GPS 18lvc with PPS and gpsd

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Thu Aug 3 06:39:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

for better performance I recommmend FreeBSD with your receiver. I have
two Garmin 18LVC receivers connected to three FreeBSD boxes. You may
found mrtg results at:

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/time_servers_internet.html

ntp1 - PII/266MHz with 192MB RAM
ntp2 - AMD K6/III 400MHz with 256MB RAM
ntp3 - P1/200MHz with 80MB RAM

All are FreeBSD 5.4 with the kernel compiled with PPS_Enable option.

Note: All three offsets are temperature dependent (the best is the PII
which is a Fujitsu-Siemens PC).For ntp2 I made a temperature
compensated mini-enclosure for the Quartz oscillator on the motherboard
(better results than before).

The offsets displayed on this page are measured in microseconds
(actually the offset between the GPS and the kernel time plus 50
microseconds - for better displaying both negative and positive
offsets).