[ntp:questions] Re: simple time server

Bryan Henderson bryanh at giraffe-data.com
Thu Aug 3 17:59:20 UTC 2006

>The NTP reference implementation, with all the libraries and accesories
>is about 75,000 lines of code.  I doubt very much that it was easy to
>write or that it would be easy to write a new one from scratch.  There
>is much, much more to NTP than "What time is it?", "It's 21:42:37.421".

And there's no reason to write such a program from scratch, since we
already have one.  But my guess is that a program that just answers
the "what time is it?"  question, such as asked by Ntpdate, based on
gettimeofday(), can probably be done in a few hundred lines.  I'll
probably try, just to find out.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California