[ntp:questions] Re: Hardware clock fails to update.

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Aug 4 12:11:55 UTC 2006

>The hardware clock, for historical reasons, keeps a local time value
>-- i.e. you have to interpret it in the context of a particular time
>zone and it won't tell you which one -- you have to know
>independently.

I think that's a Microsoft "feature".  I think I've seen comments
about some other not very common OS doing it that way too.

All of the systems I work with run the HW clock in UTC.  I think
there are options to run it in local time if you want to dual boot
a MS OS, but I've never paid attention to that.