[ntp:questions] Re: simple time server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 21:13:35 UTC 2006

Bryan Henderson wrote:

>>Most people, asking here, who use the term, mean wall clock time,
>

> I hate to descend further into this terminology abyss, but I've never
<snip>

> UTC and TAI are both standards for specifying that.  In fact so are
> EDT, PST, etc. taken individually.  That's the kind of time that a
> Unix system clock measures.  By constrast, a Windows clock keeps local
> time.  If you transport a Windows computer from Los Angeles to New
> York, you normally tell the kernel to change its clock by 3 hours.  If
> you transport a Unix system, you don't.  You just tell the various
> programs that report the kernel's time that you'd like to see it in
> EST now.

Maybe YOU reset the Windows clock that way.  Windows does have the
facility to specify a time zone and at least some of us use that
facility to set the correct time zone for the zone we happen to be in.

I suspect that a lot of people have just left the default PST time zone
in place but it doesn't have to be that way.