[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 5 20:35:44 UTC 2006

David Woolley wrote:

> In article <g_KdndAxRrxjUknZnZ2dnUVZ_tadnZ2d at comcast.com>,
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>software part counts the ticks.  The system clock as I, and others, have
>>said keeps UTC unless some idiot has totally botched the configuration
>>of Windows (quite possible since the supply of idiots is inexhaustible).
>

> Windows is a brand name that covers two completely different kernels.
>
> Windows NT based kernels (including Windows 2000, 2003, 2005, and XP) use
> UTC internally.  MS-DOS based kernels, including 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE and
> ME, use local time.  The NT kernels inherit from VMS, not from the
> MS-DOS line.
<snip>

I think, that at this point, we can safely ignore any Windows earlier
than W2k.  I'm sure there are a few antiques still running the earlier
versions but I doubt that there are enough to be significant.  It's now
2006 and the last machines to ship with W98 probably did so in late 1999
or early 2000.  Those machines are now two lifetimes old in computer
years. W98 is nearly three lifetimes old in computer years.

W2K and WXP are enough more stable and reliable than W98 that there is
little reason for anyone but a masochist to still be running W98.
Damned few people bought ME and even fewer installed it.  Microsoft
pretty much abandoned it years ago.  Even W2K is "End of Life";
Microsoft dropped support a year or two ago.