[ntp:questions] Re: simple time server

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Aug 6 01:54:32 UTC 2006

Darren Dunham wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> By constrast, a Windows clock keeps local
>>> time.  If you transport a Windows computer from Los Angeles to New
>>> York, you normally tell the kernel to change its clock by 3 hours.  If
>>> you transport a Unix system, you don't.  You just tell the various
>>> programs that report the kernel's time that you'd like to see it in
>>> EST now.
>>>

>> Maybe YOU reset the Windows clock that way.  Windows does have the
>> facility to specify a time zone and at least some of us use that
>> facility to set the correct time zone for the zone we happen to be in.
>
> I believe "specify a time zone" and "tell the kernel to change its
> clock" are equivalent on Windows.  Yes?

No. Windows uses UTC for internal timekeeping. Timezones are only for
local display of time, just like Unix. Notice that you need to nothing
to go between daylight savings time and local standard time in any
timezone. VMS is the only operating system that I am aware of that uses
local time for internal timekeeping, and that may have changed since I
was involved with it. I don't know what IBM mainframes do.

Danny