[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 19:40:12 UTC 2006

In article <G5idnWLRZumBcEjZnZ2dnUVZ_vudnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Most businesses, in the US at least, tend to replace their PCs every
> three to five years.  The replacement is not wholesale, but piecemeal.

That tends to be true of medium to large private sector businesses.
Your local plumber will probably wait until the machine dies of old
age, and it also is less likely to be true of public sector organisations.
In the UK most of the healthcare industry, for example, is more
public than private sector.  Doctors and dentists also tend to
fall into the small business category.

One way or another you have to account for the 70,000,000 Windows 98
users in June this year.

> At my last job Windows 95 was the standard desktop in 1998 and Windows
> 98 was becoming the standard laptop system.  When W2K was released,

Some of the checking I did earlier today indicated that Windows 95
was still being sold in 1999 (it becan to lose market share in
2000).

> really understood Active Directory.  I pointed out that we didn't need
> to use A/D and insisted that the PC people install W2K on my new desktop

That sounds like an organisation large enough to have an IT department.