[ntp:questions] Re: Windows timekeeping

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 8 18:00:18 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>>>That sounds like an organisation large enough to have an IT department.
>>>

>>It was.  I was a humble laborer in the Network Services Group.  We were
>>responsible for operating the data center, help desk, purchasing and
>>installing PCs, etc.  I was a VMS System Administrator, with sidelines
>>in Solaris (X86), and Windows.  Thanks to the acquisition of the company
>>I am now involuntarily retired.
>>
>>You don't believe the "humble" part?  I confess; I lied!
>>

> No, I don't believe the part about a sideline in Windows...

As part of our battle with several virii and worms I patched something
like 100 desktop systems.  W2K systems were brought up to SP4 plus all
available additional patches.  WXP systems were brought up to SP1 plus
all available additional patches.  We had a real plague of
W32.Welchia.*.  It was a real nuisance!!  Norton usually detected it and
shut it down before it was fully activated but about one attempt out of
every thirty was successful.  The only way to stamp it out proved to be
patching the vulnerabilties it used.  I also removed viruses and worms
when found.

I never touched a Windows or Novell server; I didn't have the training
and they were too important to have me learn by making mistakes.
There's still a lot I don't know about Windows.  There's still a lot I
don't know about almost everything. . . .