[ntp:questions] Re: Calculating NTP timestamp in C program

Keith Thompson kst-u at mib.org
Wed Aug 9 16:50:35 UTC 2006

rlb at hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) writes:
[...]
> It may be, btw, that your first time cannot fit in a time_t at all; for
> example, on many common systems the NTP start time will be before the
> earliest representable time, albeit not much before. Not much is, alas,
> enough in this case. (To be less circumlocutory, the epoch under POSIX
> is 00:00:00 on 1970-01-01; time_t, on such systems, is a signed long
> int; and if that system is 32-bits and uses 32-bit longs, as many do,
> 2**15 seconds is just over 68 years, making the most negative time_t
> represent a time somewhere in 1901... just over a year after NTP's
> 1900-01-01 :-/ ).

You mean 2**31 seconds, not 2**15 seconds.

(This being comp.lang.moderated, I'll probably be one of at least half
a dozen people pointing this out.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u at mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>