[ntp:questions] Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Mon Aug 14 09:27:49 UTC 2006

HokeyPokey wrote:
> I've been trying to get Windows XP SP2 to work as an NTP client for a
> couple weeks now, but with very, very poor results compared to the
> results I can obtain with Windows port of NTP.
>
> As best I understand it, Windows XP has the same Windows Time Service
> as Windows 2003 ... at least based on the common registry parameters.

I don't believe that is the case (but I might be wrong).  The XP Microsoft
NTP client is actually an SNTP client, and simply syncs once in a while to
the server.  By default, I think the sync is once per week.  The Window
2003 Server NTP software is much nearer to the reference NTP
implementation.

> Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get my XP time service to
> sync the time as well as NTP ... as you have demonstrated with
> Win2003?

You may want to ensure that the multimedia timers are permanently enabled.
The Meinberg NTP Windows port allows that (as a command-line parameter).

Cheers,
David