[ntp:questions] SNTP Client/Server questions

david.lindauer at honeywell.com david.lindauer at honeywell.com
Tue Aug 15 13:29:19 UTC 2006

I've got a question about the rationale behind the SNTP RFC2030.
Basically, a valid SNTP server is supposed to be sourced directly from
a reference, never from a remote NTP server.  We believe this is
because of the lack of sophisticated algorithms as found in NTP; e.g.
sourcing an SNTP server from an NTP server is going to be inherently
less accurate.  Is that the gist of it, or is there other rationale as
well?

Also, assuming an SNTP client is doing similar to the spec and aliasing
the server time with a calculated propagation delay, and assuming a LAN
rather than the internet at large, can anyone give a general feel for
how far off the client is going to be from its server?

Finally, are those equations for round trip time and propagation delay
in RFC2030 actually correct?  They aren't what I would expect, and
don't even seem to match each other.