[ntp:questions] Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:29:06 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> W32TIME is NOT NTP.  It is Microsoft's feeble attempt at implementing
> SNTP.  Only random chance will make it work as well as SNTP.

W32time as included in Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and higher is,
according to Microsoft, an NTPv3 compliant server and client (not just
SNTP). It seems to perform well within the limits of its claimed
accuracy (2^-6), is more configurable than predecessors, and seems to
send compliant packets with correct stratum, precision, etc.

All earlier versions of w32time (including all versions of XP and 2000)
are indeed problematic and SNTP-like in their behavior. But your
blanket statement of "W32time always sucks" needs some updating.

So, is Win2003-SP1's time service as accurate as ntpd? Of course not.
But it is not just a feeble attempt at SNTP, and it does work fairly
well as an NTP server and client in my testing.