[ntp:questions] Re: follow up on Windows 2003 SP1 Time Service versus ntpd

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Aug 16 07:52:55 UTC 2006

Ry,

Ry wrote:
> W32time as included in Windows Server 2003 with SP1 and higher is,
> according to Microsoft, an NTPv3 compliant server and client (not just
> SNTP). It seems to perform well within the limits of its claimed
> accuracy (2^-6), is more configurable than predecessors, and seems to
> send compliant packets with correct stratum, precision, etc.
>
> All earlier versions of w32time (including all versions of XP and 2000)
> are indeed problematic and SNTP-like in their behavior.
[...]

Can you tell us a specific version number of w32time which implements this?

It would make it easier to tell whether the "good new" version or the "bad
old" version of w32time is running. I could imagine the new version might
also become available for XP or so in a service pack.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren