[ntp:questions] Re: SNTP Client/Server questions

david.lindauer at honeywell.com david.lindauer at honeywell.com
Wed Aug 16 13:40:31 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> david> Also, assuming an SNTP client is doing similar to the spec and
> david> aliasing the server time with a calculated propagation delay, and
> david> assuming a LAN rather than the internet at large, can anyone give a
> david> general feel for how far off the client is going to be from its
> david> server?
>
> It depends on how good the system clock is and how often sntp polls.

thanks.  We aren't looking for performance extremes...  Would it be
reasonable to get an accuracy within several seconds, feeding sntp
clients on a lan from an sntp server which itself was fed from an NTP
server on the net?  Assuming a local clock which is nominally 60 ticks
per second?  And assuming the polls on both ends could be done often
enough to account for local clock drifts?

and thanks for the updated RFC...