[ntp:questions] NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

Alexandre Carrausse alex_s_p_a_m at carrausse.com
Wed Aug 16 23:20:39 UTC 2006

Hello,

I want to keep the time sync'd on about 90 machines spreaded on 11 different
sites (one central site with the main servers and 10 remote sites with
secondary domain controlers and workstations).

All the servers are W2K server and all the workstation are W2K Pro SP4.

It is important to note that all the links between the sites are running a
64 kbps, through a dedicated WAN.

We are currently using NTP 4.1.72 which is running as a service  and has the
minimal configuration, ie all clients getting their time from the "main
central server". The server is getting its time from itself, ie 127.127.1.0.

But we are not sure that we are having a good "state of the art"
configuration and we are unsure about the time accuracy on our system.

1. 1st question : Is this basic configuration enough?

2. The command line option in the service properties is greyed? Is there a
way to specify any options?

3. Any recommendations regarding the remote servers? Should we peer them
with the Central Site?

4. Should we peer the server at the central site to keep them more on time
(9 minutes drift in one year, but the outside world time is not very
important for us)

5. What would happen if a silly user change the time by adding lets say one
hour to the main server... would this mistake be cascaded on all the system?
Is there any safety options? (our application would crash if the time
between 2 servers is more than 3 minutes)

6. I have found a  lot of litteracy on
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/, and nice tools on ntp.org, but where
can I find any specific information about the NTP 4.1.72 for W2K software?
What are the defaults settings compiled in this version?

7. What is the purpose of the ntp.drift file? What is the meaning of the
value contained in this file?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex