[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 01:54:38 UTC 2006

Alexandre Carrausse wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to keep the time sync'd on about 90 machines spreaded on 11 different
> sites (one central site with the main servers and 10 remote sites with
> secondary domain controlers and workstations).
>
> All the servers are W2K server and all the workstation are W2K Pro SP4.
>
> It is important to note that all the links between the sites are running a
> 64 kbps, through a dedicated WAN.
>
> We are currently using NTP 4.1.72 which is running as a service  and has the
> minimal configuration, ie all clients getting their time from the "main
> central server". The server is getting its time from itself, ie 127.127.1.0.
>
> But we are not sure that we are having a good "state of the art"
> configuration and we are unsure about the time accuracy on our system.
>
> 1. 1st question : Is this basic configuration enough?

That is a question that only you can answer!   Does it meet your needs
for accuracy, and tightness of synchronization?

> 2. The command line option in the service properties is greyed? Is there a
> way to specify any options?
>
> 3. Any recommendations regarding the remote servers? Should we peer them
> with the Central Site?

No.  I don't think there is any point.

> 4. Should we peer the server at the central site to keep them more on time
> (9 minutes drift in one year, but the outside world time is not very
> important for us)

Suit yourself.

> 5. What would happen if a silly user change the time by adding lets say one
> hour to the main server... would this mistake be cascaded on all the system?
> Is there any safety options? (our application would crash if the time
> between 2 servers is more than 3 minutes)

NTPD will panic and exit if the error is more than 1024 seconds (about
17 minutes)

> 6. I have found a  lot of litteracy on
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/, and nice tools on ntp.org, but where
> can I find any specific information about the NTP 4.1.72 for W2K software?
> What are the defaults settings compiled in this version?
>
> 7. What is the purpose of the ntp.drift file? What is the meaning of the
> value contained in this file?

The drift file is used to store the current frequency correction to your
local clock.  It is updated once per hour.  In a more "normal"
configuration, it would help ntpd synchronize more quickly.  I wouldn't
attempt to guess whether it would help or hurt in your configuration.
The value is the frequency correction expressed in Parts per Million.