[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 12:12:12 UTC 2006

David J Taylor wrote:
> Hal Murray wrote:
>
>>In article <44e4e0a2$0$31030$626a54ce at news.free.fr>,
>>"Alexandre Carrausse" <alex_s_p_a_m at carrausse.com> writes:
>>
>>>Thanks, the GPS would be an option, but in the very secure site I am
>>>working in, I am afraid I will not even be allowed to install an
>>>antenna.
>
> []
>
>>>What is the approx cost of such systems?
>>
>>Do-it-yourself:  Under $100 for a Garmin GPS 18 LVC.  You also need
>>a PC.  Old ones are probably OK.
>

> For example ..
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm
>
> .. including an antenna just poking out of the window.  Of course, you
> probably can't open the windows either!
>
> David

If his site is really secure, he may have Windows but probably doesn't
have windows!!!  His electronic equipment may have to meet the "Tempest"
criteria; e.g. any electromagnetic energy emissions do not contain
recoverable information.  Add inner and outer chain link fences topped
with barbed wire, armed guards, and dogs.   Your imagination can't be to
vivid!!!! ;-)