[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

Alexandre Carrausse alex_s_p_a_m at carrausse.com
Fri Aug 18 21:59:51 UTC 2006

"Hal Murray" <hmurray at suespammers.org> wrote in message
news:_L2dnc1lD-lW5HjZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d at megapath.net...
> Using a single system as the master seems like a reasonable approach
> to me.  It's simple so you can understand it.  Just fixup the time
> by hand when it drifts too far off.

That's my plan. Today my system is 9 minutes below the real time. I can't
add 9 minutes in one go otherwise everything would crash. But I could add
one minute every morning during nine days and it would be fine.

> The main source of error in most systems is the initial accuracy
> of the crystal when it comes from the factory.  That's a constant.
> You can measure it and correct for it.  After that, your systems
> will keep pretty good time.  (That's how we used to do it before
> NTP.)
>
> The next source of error is the shift in frequency as the temperature
> changes.  Is the temperature in your bunker stable?  If so, that
> helps a lot.

The aircon system is good so I am quite confident that it is stable.

> Is the load on your system stable or bursty?  Self heating is important.
> It might help to allocate a separate box to being your NTP server.

The load is stable on the main server as it is only providing the active
directory. Not very busy (not like a db backup).

> adjtimex is the utility to tweak the clock frequency.

Seems interesting in the long run.
The only data I have found looks like code to be compiled for Unix. Anything
ready for Windows?