[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 00:04:58 UTC 2006

Alexandre Carrausse wrote:

> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
> <wolfgang+gnus20060818T141853 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote in
> message news:87mza1zqnv.fsf at bonnet.wsrcc.com...
>
>>If you are allowed to have fiber-optical signals go into the room (but
>>not out) you might be able to run a GPS in some not quite so secure
>>area and send only the NMEA and/or PPS into the secure area.
>

> I agree but the link between the GPS antenna and the secure area will be
> coper, not fiber.
>
> Are you aware of a GPS solution that would use fiber?

If you are allowed to have a fiber optic link but not a copper link you
could run NTP over the fiber link!  I'm not aware of any refclock that
uses a fiber optic output but if you can put a fiber optic Ethernet NIC
in a PC outside and a PC inside and connect the two. . . .  If the
inside machine runs a firewall that only allows the NTP protocol to and
from port 123 only. . . .  Fiber optic NIC's are rare and expensive but
there are, or were, such things.