[ntp:questions] Re: NTP sync on a standalone network (Windows 2k)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Sat Aug 19 06:55:20 UTC 2006

Alexandre Carrausse wrote:
> "Hal Murray" <hmurray at suespammers.org> wrote in message
[]
>> adjtimex is the utility to tweak the clock frequency.
>
> Seems interesting in the long run.
> The only data I have found looks like code to be compiled for Unix.
> Anything ready for Windows?

Not "ready", as far as I know, but in principle it can be done as Windows
allows you to set the number of timer ticks required between each timer
interrupt to, IIRC, a precision of about 1 part in 150,000 (about a second
a day).  So to catch up just set that value to about 100 less than it is
now, and catch up in a small number of days, smoothly, without any steps.
[Please check my sums!]

See:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getsystemtimeadjustment.asp

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/setsystemtimeadjustment.asp

A "two line" program should do the job....you may even be able to do it
from the command-line with VB Script.

Cheers,
David