[ntp:questions] Re: ntp startup behaviour under Windows

John Allen allen at vo.lu
Sun Aug 20 21:25:00 UTC 2006

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:44E7D535.6090601 at ntp.isc.org...
> John Allen wrote:
>> I've been looking into the startup behaviour of ntp under Windows. I'm
>> running ntp 4.2.0b from the Meinberg distribution as a service under
>> Windows
>> XP SP2.
>>
>> I've noticed that if the log file is enabled in ntp.conf, then ntp errors
>> do
>> not show up as events in the Windows Event Viewer. Is this the expected
>> behaviour? I would have expected to see the errors both in the log file
>> (where they are visible) and also in the Event Viewer.
>>

> Yes. The current design of the logging can only send the messages to one
> place. This is no different to doing this on Unix. To do anything else
> would require that we implement something like the BIND 9 logging and
> then you would be specifying mulitple logging streams in the
> configuration file.
>
> Is there a need for this? I don't see this as a high-priority requirement.

Danny,
Thanks for the clarification. I can see the logic of the Unix way here.
As I'm looking into the general question of how ntp behaves at Windows
startup, I now have another question.
Save scenario as above, and I'm reporting errors via the Event Viewer.
I am experimenting with a PC which starts up very quickly, so that ntp can't
resolve its server addresses, giving rise to messages like "couldn't resolve
`2.us.pool.ntp.org', giving up on it'. In the Event Viewer, these are
flagged as Errors, and indeed ntp isn't doing anything very useful, as it
was unable to resolve any of the server addresses when it started. So far so
good, and I understand what is going on.

However, from the point of view of Windows, the "NTP service" is still
running, ie this doesn't count as a "service failure". So my question is:
why is a non-functional ntp process continue to run?

If it exited, then the Windows service manager would be aware that something
was wrong, and it could automatically restart the service.

I hope this question makes sense.

John

--
John Allen