[ntp:questions] Re: ntp startup behaviour under Windows

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 06:52:32 UTC 2006

In article <Mq4Gg.11989$Nz6.2816 at edtnps82>,
John Allen <allen at vo.lu> wrote:

> However, from the point of view of Windows, the "NTP service" is still
> running, ie this doesn't count as a "service failure". So my question is:
> why is a non-functional ntp process continue to run?

It's not unconditionally non-functional.  It may be possible to configure
in servers remotely, and is is certainly possible to use diagnostics.
What I suspect you really need is to configure appropriate service
startup dependencies.

> If it exited, then the Windows service manager would be aware that something
> was wrong, and it could automatically restart the service.

You don't want to enable automatic restarting, as, at least on Unix, ntpd
exits when it considers it unsafe to proceed because it's server has made
a wild time step.  The intention is that the service should stop completely,
not continually retry.  In particular, never do this if you are using -g.