[ntp:questions] Re: ntp startup behaviour under Windows

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Mon Aug 21 08:39:04 UTC 2006

David Woolley schrieb:
> In article <Mq4Gg.11989$Nz6.2816 at edtnps82>,
> John Allen <allen at vo.lu> wrote:
>
>> However, from the point of view of Windows, the "NTP service" is still
>> running, ie this doesn't count as a "service failure". So my question is:
>> why is a non-functional ntp process continue to run?
>
> It's not unconditionally non-functional.  It may be possible to configure
> in servers remotely, and is is certainly possible to use diagnostics.
> What I suspect you really need is to configure appropriate service
> startup dependencies.

The current Meinberg installer is setting up "TCPIP" as a service
dependency for NTP.

Unfortunately some "hotplug" network interfaces like WLAN or USB stuff
seem to bring up their interfaces after the TCPIP stack has been started.

>> If it exited, then the Windows service manager would be aware that something
>> was wrong, and it could automatically restart the service.
>
> You don't want to enable automatic restarting, as, at least on Unix, ntpd
> exits when it considers it unsafe to proceed because it's server has made
> a wild time step.  The intention is that the service should stop completely,
> not continually retry.  In particular, never do this if you are using -g.

A "second try" would be OK I guess, but I agree that there should be a
limit on the restarts in a certain time period.

Best regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.