[ntp:questions] Re: ntp startup behaviour under Windows

John Allen allen at vo.lu
Tue Aug 22 01:03:22 UTC 2006

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> I don't see why setting up an internet connection should be slow!  Do you
> use a router?  I have a little Linksys BEFSR81 router.  You don't get much
> for $85 but it does act as a DHCP server.  My NTP server is internal,
> running on Sun Solaris (SPARC) and I use W32TIME on the PC's.

This issue has been discussed before in this group, see a thread from 2004
entitled "NTP starting too early in Windows?".

As I said, this is not my PC - it belongs to my mother-in-law - and I can't
change the way it connects to the Internet, which is via some kind of cable
modem supplied by Eastlink, her ISP. My interest was to be clearer about the
startup behaviour of ntp as a service under Windows, and this thread has
been helpful in that respect. It's not a long-term issue for me, just
something I'm playing with during my summer holiday in Nova Scotia.

John

--
John Allen
Bofferdange, Luxembourg