[ntp:questions] Re: how to extract time and position at the same time?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 20:14:20 UTC 2006

Mario Behn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the Motorola Oncore successfully with NTP. However in addition
> to get my PC clock synchronized, I also want to get my position.
> Since I want to mount the GPS will be mounted on a vehicle, I
> will have to continuously have to log the position to a file, to trace my
> path.
>
> In general:
> - What are the issues involving time and position retrieval from GPS
> on a moving? How can I practically speaking extract the position
> information to an ASCII file?
>
> Thanks for any hints or thoughts.
>
> Mario

Timing and navigation have different requirements!  Generally, the GPS
hardware used for navigation is not very good at timing and vice versa.
NTP software is not designed for navigation.

For navigation I would suggest DeLorme Street-Atlas USA with DeLorme's
current GPS receiver.  Your mobile PC (Laptop?) will know what time it
is but not quite as well as a fixed GPS system designed for timing.  I
believe that there is a Rand-McNally product as well but I've never used
it and know nothing about it other than a vague rumor that it exists.

Use your Oncore in a fixed location for timing.