[ntp:questions] Re: limitation on the client time/date at ntp startup

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 23:21:10 UTC 2006

BG wrote:
> I can get ntp to run by typing in ntpd -n -g in a console window but
> for this application I don't want to keep a console window visible. Is
> there a way to automatically start ntp with the options and you see the
> service running in the services window?

In just about any environment but Windoze, it's not difficult.  System
startup runs a script that starts ntpd with options.  You could try
autoexec.bat but I have serious doubts that it would work as you hope.
It would start ntpd with command line options but probably far too early
for the TCP/IP stack to be up and running.  So ntpd fails to resolve the
IP addresses of the servers or something.

I don't use ntpd on Windoze; w32time keeps the clock close enough for
govenment work.