[ntp:questions] PPS from TrueTime 468-DC GOES Time Receiver (with GPS antenna)

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Aug 24 21:11:44 UTC 2006

simonpg wrote:
> So I have this fine receiver and have been a member of pool.ntp.org for
> several years.  But I would like to take advantage of the PPS signal.
> The downside is that I have no idea where to start.  The upside is that
> I can solder and read a simple schematic diagram.  Any ideas?

GOES was a time service received from a handful of weather satellites;
while the antenna looks GPS-like, it's not a GPS.  Unfortunately, the
GOES time service was turned off a while (maybe 18 months?) ago.  While
there are sporadic reports of people receiving time from the satellites,
there is no traceability and any results are totally untrustworthy.

So, a neat box has turned into a paperweight...

John