[ntp:questions] Re: Simple ntp setup, but I must be doing something wrong

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Fri Aug 25 20:57:51 UTC 2006

>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset jitter> ==============================================================================
>  rainforest.neor 0.0.0.0         16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000 4000.00

The 0 in the reach column says that you aren't getting back any valid
answers.

I'd start with tcpdump or similar.  Are the answers getting back
and discarded by your server?  Or are they not getting back?

> I previously thought the problem was firewall related.  I have since turned
> off the firewall of my linux box, and the firewall application on my DSL
> router/gateway is set to allow both incoming and outgoing ntp communication.

What does "allow incoming ntp communication" mean?

Are you using NAT?  If so you may need to setup your DSL box to send
ntp packets to your server.  That is explicitly tell it where your
server is located rather than depend on it remembering where to send
the answers.