[ntp:questions] Re: Question to NTP developers

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Sun Aug 27 05:02:52 UTC 2006

>  The jitter for your serial
> timecode and PPS both show 4 us, which is limited by the precision. So
> far, no surprises. Hoever, your serial timecode and PPS offsets both
> show zero, which is not

Dave,

The serial offset captured with ntpq and represented with mrtg are:

For the best server - ntp1 (Intel PII/366MHz - brand Fujitsu)

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp1usvro_offset.html

and, a zoom-ed version of the same graph

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp1usvro_offset_10.html

For the second server - ntp2 (AMD K6III/400MHz - no brand)

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp2usvro_offset.html

For the third one - ntp3 (Intel P1/200MHz - no brand)

https://ecoca.eed.usv.ro/mrtg/ntp3usvro_offset.html

I made (at the end of June 2006) for the second server ntp2 a
temperature oven for the 14MHz crystal on the motherboard (a basic
circuit as for an OCXO) and the graph looks better (it loocked as the
graph for ntp3).

The yesterday steps in the graphs 2 and 3 at 8 o'clock and 11 o'clock
are due to switching off and respectivelly on the air conditioning in
the lab - an experiment to see if Kernel PPS is better than driver 22.