[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 29 14:43:24 UTC 2006

Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de> wrote:

> I could think of some kind of misuse-protection, we discussed this
> several times. If a client polling rate is too high, send it the wrong
> time...
>
> Probably this is just an attempt of the owner of this server to reduce
> the load caused by mad clients. I just issued a sequence of ntpdate
> calls and it seems that I am blocked by that server automatically after
> a couple of requests (for a short time).

This appears to be the same server described at

  http://ntp.lp0.eu/

ntp.lp0.eu is a CNAME to blackhole.arlott.org.uk.

Quote:

"Access
    o This server is private use only.
    o All other users should use pool.ntp.org.
    o Anyone using ntpdate (or equivalent) or unauthorised frequent
      polling of the time will be reported to their ISP's abuse contact.
 Any queries should be directed to the hostmaster (at blackhole.arlott.org)."

Perhaps it has crept into the pool by mistake.

I don't see why ntpdate is quite so frowned upon.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for