[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 30 12:14:03 UTC 2006

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> > Quote:
> >     o Anyone using ntpdate (or equivalent) or unauthorised frequent
> >       polling of the time will be reported to their ISP's abuse contact.

> > I don't see why ntpdate is quite so frowned upon.
>
> You mean issues like this don't bother you? Using ntpd instead avoids
> many of this issues brought up in this discussion.

I see no reason to try to stop clients using ntpdate against servers by
giving them the wrong time and/or threatening abuse reports.  Excessive
polling, eg running ntpdate every 15 seconds or any similar client bad
behaviour, is a separate issue.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for