[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Aug 30 12:49:35 UTC 2006

David J Taylor wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
> Danny,
>
> The problem I am referring to is a DNS issue, not related to NTP, and it
> doesn't look to have been fixed yet:

> C:\>nslookup 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
> Server:  ns1-edi.blueyonder.net
> Address:  62.31.64.39
>
> *** ns1-edi.blueyonder.net can't find 0.uk.pool.ntp.org: Non-existent
> domain
>
> C:\>nslookup 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
> Server:  ns1-edi.blueyonder.net
> Address:  62.31.64.39
>
> *** ns1-edi.blueyonder.net can't find 1.uk.pool.ntp.org: Non-existent
> domain
>
> C:\>
>
> Something about the DNS records causes "normal" DNS servers to reject the
> updates - sorry but I don't know the exact details.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I don't think you understand how DNS operates. If you are getting
NXDOMAIN for this address, your DNS was unsuccessful in getting the
record and caches that fact for a certain length of time defined in the
TTL field of the SOA record of the domain. Once the time has expired it
will retry the query when asked for that address. You might also want to
turn off the "DNS Client" on your system as this has similar bad effects.

Danny