[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 30 14:09:39 UTC 2006

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> That's a separate issue. I was talking about a server giving you the
> wrong answer. ntpdate will just accept it, while ntpd will compare it to
> other answers it has received and drop it if it disagrees that much from
> other answers it received.

I wasn't referring to that; you must have missed the context of my
comment, the quote from the website.

Re accepting the wrong answer, ntpd would be as bad if you configured
only one server.  ntpdate can be given multiple servers too, and will
query them all and attempt some sanity checking.  I don't know if it's
as good as ntpd, however, and I agree that using ntpd is the preferred
approach.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for