[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Aug 31 06:03:09 UTC 2006

Richard> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> Please see http://ntp.isc.org/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate for the various
>> mappings between what ntpdate does and how to get that functionality
>> otherwise.  H

Richard> It says that the functionality I asked about does not exist;
Richard> e.g. you cannot ask a server what time it is without also setting
Richard> your clock.

Sure you can - the sntp command does this.  It may not be documented on that
page, but that's a different matter.

Richard> Nor can you use a non-privileged port.

If the RFCs allow/expect this then we have a bug.  Otherwise, it will be an
enhancement request.

The web page can be updated by anybody who cares.

The -u issue will require somebody to open a bugzilla item.