[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Aug 31 13:08:46 UTC 2006

Ronan Flood wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>
>> -d is covered, and while there may not be an exact duplicate there is a
>> -d flag for ntpd and the sntp command has a way to query the time without
>> setting it.  If there is a particular thing you need that is not covered
>> open up an enhancement request.
>>
>> I have not looked at -u.
>
> Perhaps rather than being retired, ntpdate should have the time-setting
> code removed and be renamed something like ntpping, with -qu always set.
> I for one find it a useful diagnostic tool in query-only and debug modes.

Full ack. I very often use it for debugging and testing. The only thing I
find deprecated is to use the way it has been used before the -g option had
been introduced, namely to set the initial system time.

I wouldn't even remove the capabiltiy to send requests via either a
priviledged or an unpriviledged port. This is very useful to check whether
there's some kind of firewall between the test system and the NTP server
which only allows for unpreviledged ports and blocks priviledged, or
vice-versa.

Being able to send requests from either type of port is fine to detect such
conditions, if people complain their NTP client doesn't sync to their
server.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki