[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 17:32:27 UTC 2006

Ronan Flood wrote:

> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>

>>-d is covered, and while there may not be an exact duplicate there is a -d
>
> Perhaps rather than being retired, ntpdate should have the time-setting
> code removed and be renamed something like ntpping, with -qu always set.
> I for one find it a useful diagnostic tool in query-only and debug modes.

Why bother?  The -d option tells it not to set the clock and that's much
easier than removing the clock setting code and distributing the updated
version.

Let's face it!  Deprecated or not, ntpdate is here to stay and some
people WILL continue to misuse it.  If people misuse it, their clocks
may not be as accurate or reliable as they might otherwise be.  Ntpd has
the means to defend against such clocks.

Just think of it as evolution in action!