[ntp:questions] Problem with date since a few hours

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 2 12:24:47 UTC 2006

In article <45716309 at news.vo.lu>,
"Fabrice <fabrice at raspberry.maison>" (unallocated TLD) wrote:

> It seems that I get 1st january 2000 as a date from pool.ntp.org, using

pool.ntp.org dynamically selects one of many servers, all of which
could behave differently when abused.

> command

> /usr/sbin/netdate tcp pool.ntp.org

Using port 37/TCP to access a pool.ntp.org server would be considered abuse
by most of the server operators; you may even have found a server that is
deliberately configured to lie in response to such unauthorised accesses.

Accesses to pool.ntp.org should use port 123/UDP and should conform to
good NTP practice, in particular, with regard to frequency of access.
The best tool for doing this is ntpd, although ntpdate may be OK if
used infrequently, and there are some other implemenation of the over
the wire protocol.

Basically, if you had been accessing with an appropriate client, we would
have needed to know the actual IP address selected for this particular
invocation, but, as you are using an inappropriate client, the servers
are free to behave in any way they like.