[ntp:questions] Problem with date since a few hours

Fabrice fabrice at raspberry.maison
Sat Dec 2 16:56:02 UTC 2006

> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>> Fabrice wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems that I get 1st january 2000 as a date from pool.ntp.org, using
>>> command
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/netdate tcp pool.ntp.org
>>>
>>> Has anyone noticed anything?
>>>

>> What is "netdate" and what O/S are you running it on?

netdate is a standard command on my system to update the local time from a
time server. It runs on linux slackware 10.2.

>> I'm sure someone would have noticed of any of the pool servers were off
>> by six years and eleven months.  They are carefully monitored and
>> required to be within a few milliseconds of the correct time.

I agree with that: I have been using netdate on my gateway to internet for
years to retrieve the accurate time and to serve it to the PCs on the
internal family network. No problem for at least 4 years...

I was therefore very surprised this morning when all my clocks had been set
up to year 2000!

Now the situation is back to normal. Netdate gets back again the correct
time.

>> FWIW NTP uses UDP rather than TCP!

According to netdate man page, both protocols can be used.

Thanks for your replies,

Fabrice