[ntp:questions] HP media vault and stratum-1's

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Thu Dec 14 19:10:53 UTC 2006

Lee Devlin schrieb:
> "Marc Brett" <marc at fordson.demon.co.uk> wrote in message >>
>>> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200612 at gmail.com> wrote in
>> From the FAQ:
>>
>> "There is a lot of controversy about accessing public NTP StratumOne
>> servers by
>> client devices."
>>
>> Wrong.  The controversy ended years ago,  The rules of engagement are
>> crystal
>> clear.  Stratum 1 servers should be avoided by clients wherever possible.
>
> I'll correct that.   I did find at least one set of StratumOne servers
> (those belonging to nist.gov) that do allow contact by end clients.  They
> even explain how to do it on their website.
>
>> Still, why can't HP maintain its own NTP servers for its own products?
>
> HP did host a StratumOne server under the hp.com domain at one time, but it
> went offline for some reason.  With the way that companies get purchased,
> merged, re-organized, etc., it's probably a better policy to just use the
> pool.ntp.org servers.

It would be nice if HP in this case would add a few servers to the pool,
  maybe in regions which are not covered very well in the pool.

> I'll  get this fixed in the next firmware release.

How often is this product polling its time servers? And, why is there no
way to change the NTP server in your configuration? I guess this box
already comes with a web based setup UI and it would not be a big deal
to add a field "NTP time source to be used for time synchronization" in
the next firmware release.

> -Lee Devlin
> http://www.k0lee.com

Best regards,