[ntp:questions] HP media vault and stratum-1's

Lee Devlin lee._remove_this_1st_devlin at hp.com
Thu Dec 14 20:34:57 UTC 2006

"Heiko Gerstung" <heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de> wrote in message
news:4581a1be$0$49200

> How often is this product polling its time servers? And, why is there no
> way to change the NTP server in your configuration? I guess this box
> already comes with a web based setup UI and it would not be a big deal to
> add a field "NTP time source to be used for time synchronization" in the
> next firmware release.

The product polls the server once every 3 days.  There is a field for an end
user to insert up to three time servers, but they require an IP address
instead of a DNS name, a shortcoming of the reference design upon which the
software was built.  The default values in there were for StratumOne servers
and that needs to be changed.
I'm currently experimenting with a solution that would allow DNS names to go
into that field instead of hard coded IP addresses.

-Lee Devlin
http://www.k0lee.com