[ntp:questions] Staying in state 3 for a long time

Joel Shellman joelshellman at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 16:22:08 UTC 2006

What triggers the move from state 3 to state 4?

I have ntpd -q -g and then ntpd running in the linux
bootscripts and then I watch ntpd afterwards. ntpd -c
rv is showing state 3 for 10 minutes after boot before
it finally goes into state 4. What has to be satisfied
for it to move to state 4? Is there something I can do
to help that along?

I already am using iburst on the server line.

Thanks.