[ntp:questions] Re: Staying in state 3 for a long time

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Feb 6 19:59:16 UTC 2006

With a good drift file and iburst on the server line (and probably a
well-behaved server and a well-behaved connection to that server), a restart
of ntpd usually gets to state 4 in about 11 seconds.

If it is taking you 10 minutes it sounds like you are not starting with a
good value in your drift file.

>>> In article <20060206162208.85828.qmail at web34106.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, joelshellman at yahoo.com (Joel Shellman) writes:

Joel> What triggers the move from state 3 to state 4?  I have ntpd -q -g and
Joel> then ntpd running in the linux bootscripts and then I watch ntpd
Joel> afterwards. ntpd -c rv is showing state 3 for 10 minutes after boot
Joel> before it finally goes into state 4. What has to be satisfied for it
Joel> to move to state 4? Is there something I can do to help that along?

Joel> I already am using iburst on the server line.

Joel> Thanks.