[ntp:questions] Re: Staying in state 3 for a long time

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Feb 6 22:21:35 UTC 2006

Joel,

When you start ntpd without a frequency file it will indeed stay in
state 3 for about 15 minutes in order to accurately calibrate and
correct for the intrinsic clock oscillator frequency error within 1 PPM.
After that the time and frequency should be within nominals and the
state change to 4. After one hour the current frequency will be written
to file and nevermore should you ever see state 3.

Dave