[ntp:questions] Re: what is the typical linux kernel clock like?

Eugen COCA ecoca at eed.usv.ro
Mon Feb 13 06:20:21 UTC 2006

Thomas,

in my opinion, there is no need for the power saving feature for a NTP
time server. A very good time server may be build with an old PII/266
processor and the total power drawn by such a computer is under 40-50W.
If the power restrictions are much lower, there are embedded computers
(like soekris) with a power requiremet of about 10-15W.

Experinces made with production servers (with heavy mail, httpd, squid,
etc.) shown us the precision could not be improved at all (we have here
a dual PIII Xeon server, with more than 3000 user accounts and a httpd
service with about 100 to 500 requests per second). The the offset is
between 10 and 800 ms.