[ntp:questions] Re: Reading time offset from ntp variables using ntpq

Daniel Kabs daniel.kabs at gmx.de
Thu Feb 16 08:50:47 UTC 2006

Hello David!

 > As to which timestamp is "correct" you will need to read the
 > architecture briefing on the NTP project page.

That's not fair. I just wanted to use NTP as a tool to measure the time
drift of my system clock and now you pull the dreaded "read the
architecture briefing" weapon on me. What have I done to you to deserve
this? :-)

 > While at it, understand
 > the raw offset measurement does not reflect the actual clock offset,
 > as the latter is determined by the clock discipline algorithm
 > described in  the briefings on the project page. [...]

You are talking about "clock discipline". That's confusing me as I am
running ntpd using option "disable ntp" which (according to your
implementation documentation) should disable time and frequency discipline.

Cheers
Daniel
--
Refactor, don't archive! - SamHasler - 28 Aug 2004 - twiki.org