[ntp:questions] Re: running ntpd as user in solaris 9

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 14:48:29 UTC 2006

Dale Bright wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Newbie here, looking for a little help from those who have come before
> me, Has anyone got 2.0 to work as non-root privileges in solaris 9.
> is it even possible... if so can someone point me a a good link.
> Googled for a while and do not find much solaris help... ( no jokes on
> that please :-) )
>
> Thx
> Dale

I don't believe it's possible.  You need to be root to set the clock!

Solaris 10 introduces the concept of privileges; rather than root and
not-root, you get individual "wheel bits" that allow you to; e.g. set
the clock but not to do all the other things that root can do.  The
system administrator has to grant these privileges to you and may or may
not be willing to do so.

If you are the administrator, just run ntpd as root. 4.2.0 is the
current version. "2.0", whatever that might be, should not even be
considered!  If you are not the administrator, you will have to ask him
to configure and start ntpd.