[ntp:questions] Re: Reading time offset from ntp variables using ntpq

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Fri Feb 17 08:25:13 UTC 2006

In article <GJudnUAaJMpAvGjenZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d at comcast.com> "Richard
B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>In that case, I think RFC 1305 needs some clarification.  Page 100
>refers to these times as "T1, T2, T3, and T4" and they are not otherwise
>defined.  Page 50 defines the timestamps in the NTP packet as Reference,
>Originate, Receive, and Transmit.  The reader is left to guess where
>T1 - T4 come from.  I guessed wrong.  Sorry about that.
>
>Yes, I have read the darned thing though a lot of the math is over my head.

Hm, T1 - T4 are defined in figure 14. Of course the .txt version of 1305
doesn't have figures, and trying to read the formulas is futile even if
you do understand the math. Try the PDF version, e.g. at
http://www.faqs.org/rfc/rfc1305.pdf (I guess the PostScript version can
also be found somewhere).

Incidentally, RFC 2030 (SNTP) has "textual" definitions of this basic
stuff.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org