[ntp:questions] Re: Time Server with programmable offset

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 18:27:40 UTC 2006

Maarten Wiltink wrote:

> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:Dpydnbd14dzX02beRVn-tQ at comcast.com...
> [...]
>
>>Why do you want an offset?  What problem are you trying to solve?
>>
>>I don't know of any such timeservers and I have to wonder why anybody
>>would want one!   I mean why go to all the trouble of getting the
>>correct time and then munging so it's incorrect?
>

> Oh, just guessing... to display local time?
>
> Groetjes,
> Maarten Wiltink

Well, it's certainly a round about way of asking for it.  And if he's
having trouble finding such a thing I'm not sure we can help.  I can't,
offhand, think of an O/S that doesn't support a clock in UTC and display
  of the time in the user's local time zone.  Unix, Linux, VMS, and
Windows all have the capability.  I don't know for certain about OS 400,

MVS, or any of the many other systems I've had no contact with for many
years but I suspect that they also have the capability.