[ntp:questions] Re: Local NTP for 5 Subnets

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Fri Feb 24 10:16:18 UTC 2006

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:43FE7A47.4030204 at ntp.isc.org...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>> [...] Unix tends to start daemons through scripts that you can edit,
>> so you can easily make it run ntpdate before starting ntpd, or you
>> can add the "-g" parameter to ntpd which does much the same thing.

>> Windows is more awkward; there are no scripts and it's harder to get
>> the parameter passed. ...
>
> Actually, that's not true. Martin was able to figure it out last year
> so you can now include -g in the service and have it used.

I applaud and thank Martin for his efforts, but note that I said
"harder". Not "impossible".

I do consider it more awkward in Windows. No easily edited[0] scripts
are involved in starting and stopping services, and the GUI service
manager has an editbox for parameters to the executable... but it
doesn't work. IIRC you have to add the parameters directly to the
command line, which is labeled "path to executable" and is only
_displayed_ in a read-only textbox. So you have to make changes in
the registry, which always makes people go "Oi! Be careful!".

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink

[0] Though hard to find if you don't know where to look. This is a
    constant over all software.