[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and W32Time on a PDC

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Fri Feb 24 10:22:25 UTC 2006

iZZiO wrote:
> In my lan I've two network-time-server GPS based, 10 servers (3 of
> them ad domain controllers) and 200 workstation clients.
> In order to obtain a reliable syncronization in the whole network I'd
> like to use ntp on the servers (configuring 2 servers and 10 peers)
> but without put hands on the 200 domain workstations (running
> W32time).
>
> Is it possible?  Do I need both services running on the domain
> controllers? Do I need just NTP?
>
> Thank you for help.

iZZiO,

I haven't tried this with DCs, but the following port of NTP has worked
reliably on Windows 2000 Workstation and Server, and on Windows XP Home
and Pro.

  http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm

NTP replaces W32time - don't run both.

Personally, I would recommend putting NTP on the workstations as well, but
I can understand that you might not want to.

Do the two servers have Internet backup in case the GPS fails?  I'm not
sure what your best configuration would be - perhaps others will comment.
I would probably point the 10 servers at two Internet sources (your
firewall(s)?) plus the 2 GPS servers, giving them four NTP time sources in
all.  Either 2 or 3 sources would be an unfortunate choice in case of
failure.  With just two, which is right?  With three, what happens if one
fails?  I'm unclear about the benefit of peering the 10 servers, although
it sounds nice!

David